About Building Regulations (supplementary)

What are Building Regulations about?

​Supplementary Information

The following list contains examples of the types of building work which require Building Regulations approval.  We also have a more detailed guide to building work: www.extendingyourhome.com/labc/gteyh/birmingham/birminghamgteyh2018/.

If your project is for any of these types of work you will need to submit an application to us:-

  • Erecting or extending a building to either a domestic premises or a commercial premises
  • Install a new WC or bathroom that involves new waste pipes or underground drainage
  • Building a house extension, (although most conservatories, car ports and porches are exempt)
  • Convert a house to flats or bed-sits
  • Building an attached garage
  • Make general alterations that mean altering a load bearing internal wall or the existing roof structure or work which affects the existing means of escape routes or access to the property
  • Convert a loft or other roof space into a habitable area
  • Alterations to your property can also include
  • New or extended Electrical or Gas works or Replacement doors and or new windows to a house, or the installation of a heating appliance or boiler for details of competent person’s scheme and to search for accredited installers please click here
  • Replace or renovate a thermal element (roof, external wall or floor).  Renovation in relation to a thermal element means the provision of a new layer or replacement of an existing layer in the element, thus re-rendering an external wall or removing extensive areas of internal plaster will need to be considered for improvements in thermal efficiency. Replacement of roof tiles will require approval (unless carried out by a competent contractor, for more information go to: https://webarchive.nationalarchives.gov.uk/20150728184422tf_/http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/buildingregulations/approveddocuments/partl/faqs
  • Underpinning the foundations of a habitable building
  • Change of use to a dwelling or a public building or part thereof.
  • Click here for further information on Building Regulations from the Local Authority Building Control (LABC)
  • Click here for general advice and guidance for homeowners from LABC